- Pluck 4-6 medium sized feathers from the chest area and place them in a clean zip-locked bag. In order to prevent cross-contamination, avoid touching the ends of the feather shafts where the follicle is located.
- Any blood on the feathers should be left to dry before putting into the bag.
- Place feathers from one bird per zip-lock bag. Place a piece of paper with the bird’s name, species, identification number, your name and contact details in the bag.
- Label each bag clearly to identify the sample.
- Before you make payment, call us at 81219132 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for sample submission.
- Alternatively, you may also pick up a sample kit for your birds at the following bird stores:
- Fur Friends @ 106 Yishun Ring Road #01-187, s(760106)
- Song Bird Centre @ 84 Bedok North Street 4, #01-31, s(460084)
- Mini Pet Store @ 265 Bukit Batok East Avenue 4, #01-391, s(650265)
- Teo Hai Soon @ 38 Telok Blangah Rise #01-337 s(090038)
- Electronic results will be sent out within 2 weeks.
- We will contact you when DNA card is ready for collection at a later date.
- Payment is to be made at the time of submission of samples.
- Chest feathers can be collected by using tweezers and grabbing the feather at the base and then plucking. Some birds may twitch slightly when feathers are plucked, but will not be harmed by this procedure.
- Plucked feathers from the chest must have a follicle at the end. This follicle contains the DNA for testing.
- Molted feathers do not contain enough DNA for testing
- Blood feathers do not contain enough DNA for testing.